Quality criteria for certification schemes
Certification involves the independent assessment and monitoring of whether a producer or processor of biomass fulfils the sustainability criteria. And ensuring that an effective administration is maintained of the in and outgoing flows that contain biomass.
Over the past few years, the number of certification schemes for biomass has increased dramatically. The Green Deal Green Certificates values the fact that these certification schemes fulfil strict quality criteria. These criteria relate to:
- the management of certification schemes, (transparency, financing, complaints procedure)
- quality requirements for inspectors (independence, competency, accreditation and monitoring)
- auditing procedures (frequency, type of audits, sanctions)
- procedures for multi-site producers
- chain of custody (company requirements, transfer of information)
See here for the full overview of quality criteria.